Canestrelli (literally little baskets) are crumbly, flower-shaped, Italian cookies from Piedmont and Liguria region. This is a revisited version with hazelnut flour. These cookies are the perfect treat for breakfast or snack time, delicious with a cup of tea or a cappuccino. Although the original recipe of plain Canestrelli recalls for hard-boiled egg yolks, I just used egg yolks but either way it will works beautifully.
Buon Appetito !!!
Poto by Ale Gambini – BreadLoveAndDreams.com
Yields : 20 cookies
Difficulty : easy
Prep Time : 1h 20 min.
Cook Time : 10 min.
1.77 (225 gr.) flour 00
1/2 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
7 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
powdered sugar, to sprinkle
- Toast the hazelnuts in a large skillet for a couple of minutes. Allow to cool.
- Grind the hazelnuts in a food processor or high speed blender.
- In a large bowl sift flour then add hazelnuts and sugar and blend the ingredients together.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Cut the butter into small cubes than add them to the flour mixture and knead until a firm and smooth dough forms.
- Wrap the cookie dough with cling paper and let rest in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat oven at 350 F degrees.
- Roll the dough 1/2 inch thick on a work surface.
- Cut the dough with a flower-shaped cookie cutter and make a hole into the center with a small flower-shaped cookie cutter or with the back of a pastry tip.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack than sprinkle with plenty of powdered sugar.