Makes : 1 bread loaf
Difficulty : intermediate
Prep time : 20 min.
Baking time : 40/50 min.
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
1 tsp granulated sugar
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
– In a mixing bowl of a stand mixer, proof the dry yeast with 1/2 cup of warm water and sugar. When a bubbly foam forms on the surface , the yeast is proofed and ready to be used.
– Stir 2 teaspoons of salt and 3 tablespoons of olive oil into the remaining warm water, then set aside.
– Add the flour to the yeast.
– Knead the dough with dough hook at low speed.
– Add little by little the water/oil mixture.
– Knead until the dough is firm and doesn’t stick to the bowl.
– Move the dough in a big shallow bowl, previously brushed with olive oil.
– Cover the bowl tightly with cling wrap.
– Let the dough rise in the oven off with the light on.
– Let the dough rise until it doubles in size (usually it takes 2 to 3 hours).
– Move the dough on a floured work surface and work it faith hands for a minute.
– Shape the dough into a big ball.
– Cover with a dishtowel and let rise for another hour.
– Move the dough on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
– With a pairing knife make 4 incision (two horizontal and two vertical), 1/2 inch deep on top of the dough.
– Bake the dough on a preheat oven (400 F degrees) for 40/50 minutes.
Ale Gambini (Host Chef & Founder)
Maurizio “OTTO” De Togni (Film & Music Maker – Executive & Media Producer)
Copyright © 2014. All Rights Reserved.